Galettes are thought to be a really cool, impressive, gourmet dessert that’s popular in the summer and only made by people who know what they’re doing. I’m here to tell you that’s all wrong. Galettes are pretty cool, and one could say that they look impressive, but they’re so easy to make. This fruit galette is definitely easier than making a pie.

fruit galette

Photo by Katherine O’Malley

All you have to do is make one crust, roll it out, spoon fruit on top, and fold over the edges. There’s no rolling out of a second crust and carefully placing it on top. It’s really quite simple, but looks pretty gourmet. So what are you waiting for? This July 4th, ditch the strawberry rhubarb pie for a strawberry peach galette.

Strawberry Peach Galette

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:35 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour 50 minutes
  • Servings:6-8 servings

• 2 ripe peaches
  • 2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
  • 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cubed
  • 1/4 cup ice water
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • additional sugar, for sprinkling
Photo by Katherine O'Malley

Mix the peaches and strawberries together in a large bowl. Add 2 Tbsp. sugar and toss to coat. Set aside while you prepare the crust.

Photo by Katherine O'Malley

In a large bowl, quickly whisk the flour, 3 Tbsp. sugar, and salt together. Using a pastry cutter or your hands, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Photo by Katherine O'Malley

Add up to 1/4 cup ice water, or until the dough comes together into a uniform ball and doesn’t seem too dry, nor too wet.

Photo by Katherine O'Malley

Shape the dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Photo by Katherine O'Malley

Preheat the oven to 425°F. On a lightly floured piece of parchment paper, roll the dough out into a 12-inch circle. Transfer the dough to a baking sheet and spoon the fruit on top.

Photo by Katherine O'Malley

Fold the edges over the fruit and gently seal the edges. Brush the crust with the beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.

Photo by Katherine O'Malley

Bake the galette in the preheated oven for 25 to 35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown but not too dark. Allow to cool slightly before serving.

Photo by Katherine O'Malley