This toffee recipe is perfect for the money-conscious college student with a sweet tooth. All ingredients are accessible and affordable, making this an easy recipe whether you live in a dorm, house or apartment. The finished product is a crunchy and delectable dessert that creates the perfect balance between sweet and salty, and never fails to melt in your mouth.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Servings: 40 toffee squares
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks of butter, no margarine allowed)
1 cup brown sugar, packed tightly
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
40 saltine crackers (1 sleeve of saltines)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Line a 17 x 19 cookie sheet with foil, and spray with cooking spray.
3. Set a layer of crackers down on the foil (do not overlap.)
4. On the stove, place the butter in a small pot and turn up the heat to medium-high.
5. Slowly mix the sugar into the melted butter until it all dissolves.
6. Reduce the heat to medium-low for 5-6 minutes to let the mixture thicken.
7. Pour the mixture over the crackers and spread evenly using a spatula.
8. Place in oven and bake for 8-10 minutes until toffee mixture starts to bubble.
9. Remove from oven and let cool for 3-5 minutes.
10. Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly across the top of the desert, letting them melt.
11. Refrigerate until hardened, about 20 minutes.
12. Break into pieces before serving.