Do you love guacamole? I’m not talking about the pasty kind they slather on fast-food burritos. I mean the real deal. The authentic, flavorful, limey version Mexicans would be proud to call a staple of their cuisine. If you do, you’re in luck! I present to you, a family recipe, taught to me by my Mexican mother. Now you can make the delicious dip we all know and love with the real Latin flavors. So if you want to make new friends on your floor, pretend like you’re actually in Mexico, or simply enjoy an easy homemade treat, go ahead! Make the best guacamole you’ve ever had, and be amazed you didn’t try it sooner.
Authentic Mexican Guacamole
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
2 medium sized, ripe Haas avocados, seeded and peeled
½ medium onion, diced
2 limes, juiced
1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
A handful of chopped cilantro
Salt to taste
- Mash the avocados in a medium sized bowl until creamy.
- Using the back of a spoon, make a small well in the avocados and add the diced onion.
- Add the lime juice to the onions in the well and wait 7-10 minutes. (Tip: This will tone down the bitterness to your onions and allow for a better mix of flavors)
- Mix in the tomato and cilantro, and add salt to taste.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve
Note: If storing for over a few hours, make sure to keep an avocado pit in the guacamole to keep it from turning brown!