If you love hummus, but want to give it some extra flare, look no further. This sweet potato chipotle hummus is zesty, sweet, and spicy. With the creamy sweetness of sweet potato and the spicy bite of chipotle pepper, this hummus is the perfect spread for your pita chip or sliced cucumber.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
1 medium sweet potato
1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas
1 chipotle pepper in adobe sauce (increase or decrease to adjust spiciness)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons water
1. Wash and dry the sweet potato and poke it all over with a fork.
2. Place the sweet potato in the microwave for 8 minutes, or until cooked through (it will be soft to the touch and slightly mushy).
3. While the sweet potato is cooking, drain and rinse the chickpeas in a colander.
4. Put chickpeas in the food processor, Vitamix or Magic Bullet blender.
5. Once the sweet potato is done cooking, remove the skin, chop, and add to the food processor.
6. Roughly chop one chipotle pepper add it to the food processor.
7. Process, while slowly adding the extra virgin olive oil and water, until smooth.
8. Top with a sprinkle of extra virgin olive oil for richness and to maintain moisture.
Store the chipotle peppers in a container in the freezer, so they don’t go bad before the next time you decide to whip up some more sweet potato chipotle hummus!