If you didn’t bring your favorite stuffed animal to college, grilled cheese is the next best thing to remind you of your childhood. It’s the ultimate solution to homesickness. You miss your mom? Grilled cheese. Heard a song that reminds you of summer days in your backyard? Grilled cheese. Binge-watching childhood TV shows? You guessed it – grilled cheese.

That being said, now that you’re (sort of) an adult, it’s time that your grilled cheese got a serious makeover. Say goodbye to Kraft slices. We’ve got something better for you.

This updated sandwich involves a secret ingredient, honey – when paired with a nutty cheese like aged cheddar or Gruyère, this hint of sweetness entrances your taste buds. Your friends will be begging for the recipe.

Gourmet Grilled Cheese

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:4 minutes
  • Total Time:9 minutes

• 2 slices baguette
  • 3 slices aged Gruyère cheese
  • 1/4 thinly sliced Gala apple
  • 1/4 teaspoon sage
  • 1/4 teaspoon thyme
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • Honey
Photo by Jody Brimacombe

Assemble ingredients. Cut baguette. Thinly slice Gala apple and Gruyère cheese. Mix together sage and thyme.

Place all ingredients between two slices of bread.

#SpoonTip: Ccoat the apple slices in the sage and thyme mixture to ensure the spices remain on the sandwich.

Coat the top slice of bread with a generous amount of honey.

Put butter in a frying pan on low to medium heat. Place sandwich in frying pan. When first side is browned, flip the sandwich over and cover until cheese melts.

Photo by Jody Brimacombe

Remove and enjoy.

Photo by Jody Brimacombe