It happens to the best of us: those days you come home with both your jaw and fists clenched tightly. Maybe the car behind you honked incessantly when you didn’t accelerate the moment the stoplight turned green; the mailman tossed your fragile package into your bushes; the lady at the checkout line called you “a grandma” for counting out exact change. Whatever the case, it feels pretty rotten to come home with heaps of negative energy churning inside you. Instead of biting off your roommate’s head the moment you walk through the door, take out your anger on some fresh vegetables and chop those suckers to bits. Then, wouldn’t you know it, you have a wonderful chopped salad to enjoy. Day transformed.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
¾ head lettuce (red or green)
½ head kale
3 medium sized carrots
2 celery stalks
¼ block cheese (I used Cheddarella)
1. Put water in a small pan over medium heat. Gently drop in eggs. Let water boil for 5 minutes. Remove eggs from hot water and place in cold water while preparing veggies.
2. Wash lettuce and chop into little pieces. Watch your fingers!
2. Wash kale. Remove it from stalks. Chop into little pieces.
3. Wash, peel and chop carrots into 1/4 inch pieces.
4. Wash celery and chop into similarly sized pieces.
Tip: Peel celery a little before using to remove some of the tough exterior.
5. Coax avocado from its skin, throw out the pit and chop into little pieces.
6. Chop cheese into small blocks.
8. Tap hardboiled eggs on counter and remove shells. Chop into little pieces.
9. Place all ingredients into a large salad bowl.
10. Carefully toss with two large spoons. Add dressing before or after this toss. I added mine before, but it’ll taste great either way.