Every holiday when the family gets together, the one dish I can always count on is my Nonnie’s famous strawberry banana jello. For years, it’s been my duty to release the jello from the mold, dress it with fresh strawberries, take the biggest piece, and of course, the first bite. It’s heaven.
You should be warned though that this jello is totally addicting, and my family eats it both with the main course and as a dessert. Weird, I know. Make this dish if you’re having friends over for dinner, or bring it to your next family event to start your own jello tradition.
Prep Time: 10 minutes (plus one hour for refrigeration)
Total Time: Several hours (jello needs time to set!)
2 large packages or 4 small packages of strawberry/banana Jell-O
2 1/2 cups boiling water
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup sugar
2 packages frozen strawberries (defrosted)
2 small cans crushed pineapple
l large tub Cool Whip
1. In a large bowl, combine Jell-O mix and water.
2. Add the remaining ingredients, except the Cool Whip, and mix until combined.
3. Put bowl into refrigerator for one hour.
4. After one hour, add Cool Whip to bowl and blend well with an electric mixer.
5. Grease the jello mold (vegetable oil works best) and pour mixture into mold.
6. Return to refrigerator for several hours.
Tip: For best results, make the jello a day before serving.
7. When jello has set, run a knife around the edges of the mold to loosen the jello. Cover the top of the mold with a large serving platter, and holding both pieces together, carefully turn mold upside down onto the platter. Shake gently to release jello.
8. Decorate with strawberries before servings.