If you haven't been keeping up with the news abroad, in June 2016, the United Kingdom voted in a referendum to withdraw from the European Union in a decision called Brexit. This is the first time that a country has ever decided to withdraw from the EU and the ensuing debates have been anything but calm and collected. To keep up with the news, I'm sharing my favorite recipe (a hybrid between the recipe from Epicurious and Cinnamon-Spice & Everything Nice) for sticky toffee pudding, a popular British steamed dessert. 

Sticky Toffee Pudding

• Total Time:1 hr 5 mins

• 1/4 cup 1/2 stick room temperature unsalted butter plus a little extra to butter the pan
  • 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour plus more for pan
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped pitted dates
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • Bundt pan
chocolate, sweet, cake
Bianca Hsieh

Gather all your ingredients and preheat the oven to 350°F.

milk, sweet
    Bianca Hsieh

Butter and flour your Bundt pan. Combine dates and 1 1/4 cups water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda (the mixture will become foamy). Let cool.

soup, vegetable, parsley, meat
    Bianca Hsieh

Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Using an electric mixer and another larger bowl, beat 1/4 cup butter, sugar, and vanilla to blend. Add 1 egg and beat to blend. Add half of flour mixture and half of date mixture and blend. Repeat with remaining 1 egg, flour mixture, and date mixture. Pour batter into Bundt pan.

milk, cream, coffee, egg, dairy product, flour
    Bianca Hsieh

Bake pudding for 40-45 minutes. Test center of cake by inserting a toothpick and seeing if it comes out clean. Let pudding cool in pan for 30 minutes and then invert onto plate.

pumpkin
    Bianca Hsieh

Sticky Toffee Pudding Sauce

• Prep Time:0

• 1/4 cup or 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1 1/3 cup brown sugar light or dark
  • 1/2 pint or 1 cup heavy whipping cream

Combine sugar, cream, and butter in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 3 minutes.

soup, broth, vegetable, coffee
    Bianca Hsieh

Remove sauce from heat and drizzle over pudding.

chocolate, cake, sweet, bread
    Bianca Hsieh

Cut into pudding and serve with ice cream and additional sauce.

sweet, chocolate, cake, cream
    Bianca Hsieh