The secret to healthier pancakes is spelt flour: a whole grain, non-wheat flour with higher amounts of protein. For those who like a hard workout, spelt improves muscle recovery, making these cakes great post-workout — or on a lazy Saturday morning.
Total Time: 15 minutes
½ cup whole grain spelt flour
tablespoon light brown sugar, packed
teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of baking soda
½ teaspoon cinnamon
cup choice of milk
3 tablespoons plain yogurt
1 large egg
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Combine dry ingredients in bowl.
2. Whisk together milk, yogurt, egg and olive oil in second bowl. Stir into first mixture.
3. Preheat skillet over medium heat and brush with olive oil.
4. Use ladle or ¼ measuring cup to pour batter onto skillet.
5. Flip cakes when bubbles start to form and cook until bottoms are golden brown, about 1 minute.