As the designated bug-catcher in our apartment, I often come across unwelcome spiders that I have to gently (or not so gently) escort out of the room (or down the toilet….sorry). So, as an offering to counterbalance my anti-spider actions, I decided to make some friendly ones. Complete with webs of their own, they also happen to double as a perfect Halloween party snack.

Easy

Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time:
0 minutes
Total time:
30 minutes

Servings: about 12

For spider webs:
1 bag pretzel sticks (the thin ones)
Chocolate chips

For spiders:
Pretzel sticks (same as for webs)
1 box Oreos
M&Ms or other colorful candies (for the eyes)

Directions:

For spider webs:
1. Arrange whole or half pretzel sticks in snowflake shape on cookie sheet lined with wax paper or aluminum foil.

halloween

Photo by Luna Zhang

2. Melt handful of chocolate chips in microwave or double boiler.

halloween

Photo by Luna Zhang

3. Pour melted chocolate into plastic piping bag or sandwich bag, then snip off corner. TIP: Put the bag in a tall glass with the corner at the bottom, then drape the sides over the rim to keep it from falling over. This also allows you to use both hands to pour the chocolate.

halloween

Photo by Luna Zhang

4. Pipe swirl onto laid out pretzel sticks. Make sure to maintain a steady stream of chocolate or else the final product might break.

halloween

Photo by Luna Zhang

5. Stick webs into freezer, cookie sheet and all, for about 10 minutes (20 minutes in fridge). Chocolate should be hardened and matte. Now, it’s time to add some spiders to the picture.

halloween

Photo by Luna Zhang

For spiders:
1. Microwave selected cookies for 6-8 seconds to soften the creme in the middle.
2. Twist apart and press 6 pretzel legs (full or half sticks) into creme.

halloween

Photo by Luna Zhang

3. Press together with top. TIP: Add some leftover melted chocolate or Nutella to make it stick better.

halloween

Photo by Luna Zhang

4. Attach candy eyes with dab of leftover melted chocolate or frosting.

halloween

Photo by Luna Zhang

5. You can add pupils with icing or sprinkles for an extra kick.

halloween

Photo by Luna Zhang

See? Not scary at all.

halloween

Photo by Luna Zhang

Recipe inspiration from here and here.