As the designated bug-catcher in our apartment, I often come across unwelcome spiders that I have to gently (or not so gently) escort out of the room (or down the toilet….sorry). So, as an offering to counterbalance my anti-spider actions, I decided to make some friendly ones. Complete with webs of their own, they also happen to double as a perfect Halloween party snack.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Servings: about 12
For spider webs:
1 bag pretzel sticks (the thin ones)
Pretzel sticks (same as for webs)
1 box Oreos
M&Ms or other colorful candies (for the eyes)
For spider webs:
1. Arrange whole or half pretzel sticks in snowflake shape on cookie sheet lined with wax paper or aluminum foil.
2. Melt handful of chocolate chips in microwave or double boiler.
3. Pour melted chocolate into plastic piping bag or sandwich bag, then snip off corner. TIP: Put the bag in a tall glass with the corner at the bottom, then drape the sides over the rim to keep it from falling over. This also allows you to use both hands to pour the chocolate.
4. Pipe swirl onto laid out pretzel sticks. Make sure to maintain a steady stream of chocolate or else the final product might break.
5. Stick webs into freezer, cookie sheet and all, for about 10 minutes (20 minutes in fridge). Chocolate should be hardened and matte. Now, it’s time to add some spiders to the picture.
1. Microwave selected cookies for 6-8 seconds to soften the creme in the middle.
2. Twist apart and press 6 pretzel legs (full or half sticks) into creme.
3. Press together with top. TIP: Add some leftover melted chocolate or Nutella to make it stick better.
4. Attach candy eyes with dab of leftover melted chocolate or frosting.
5. You can add pupils with icing or sprinkles for an extra kick.
See? Not scary at all.