When it comes to pasta, orzo has never been my go-to. However, I was pleasantly surprised at my boyfriend’s parents’ house when I ate a mouthful of what I thought was rice only to find that it was indeed orzo—with a little twist. It was flavorful, crunchy and incorporated cooked spinach. After asking for the recipe, I was even happier to see that it’s ridiculously easy to make. Basically, it’s too good to not share.
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: About 22 minutes
1 lb orzo
2 cups spinach
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup nut of choice (I used almonds)
1 1/4 cup crumbled feta (or to taste)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (or to taste)
Garlic to taste
1. Boil orzo in water for 8-10 minutes.
2. Stir-fry spinach and chopped garlic cloves until soft.
3. Drain orzo and cool for 10-15 minutes.
4. Add spinach, garlic, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and olive oil and toss.
5. Top with nuts and crumbled feta and eat up!