Ever look in the fridge and realize you basically have nothing to eat? This is an amazing spinach cake recipe I grew up with, and never really appreciated until I got to college, and realized this is one of the easiest, cheapest, and quickest snacks to make when your fridge is approaching its bare bones.

Spinach Cakes

• 1 package frozen spinach
  • 1 cup mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup flavored breadcrumbs
  • 1 egg
Jacqueline Paez

Once your spinach is cooked and strained of water you will add in the rest of the ingredients; cheese, breadcrumbs, and egg.

vegetable, rice
    Photo by Jacqueline Paez

Next you will take a fork and mix everything together.

If you find your spinach was too damp you could always add more breadcrumbs to soak up some of the water.

kale, herb, spinach, broccoli
    Photo by Jacqueline Paez

Next comes rolling. You'll take your mixture and roll it into a ball, just as if you were making meatball.

herb, spinach
    Photo by Jacqueline Paez

Once you have your spinach balls you'll grab a decent sized pan, add EVOO, put the burner on medium to high heat and place them on the pan.

Once you give them a second to sizzle, you'll take a spatula and press down on the ball to make it into a flat cake.

chocolate, cake, cream, candy, sweet
    Photo by Jacqueline Paez

You'll leave them on each side for about 3 to 4 minutes until they get golden brown.

spinach
    Photo by Jacqueline Paez

Lastly, you'll take them off the heat and onto a plate with paper towel underneath to absorb some of the grease.

rice, kale
    Photo by Jacqueline Paez

Last step is to dig in!

Photo by Jacqueline Paez