Now this is an impressive soup– it’s creamy, hearty and nutritious. You certainly can’t get this at Leo’s or pour it out of a can, but it’s easier than you think. In fact, this butternut squash and pumpkin-based soup can be made in one pot, so the only real effort it requires is getting your lazy butt out of bed and to the grocery store. It’s so worth it.

This recipe has been college-ified and adapted from a recipe by Ina Garten. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Medium

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes

Servings: 6

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1.5 cups yellow onions, finely chopped (1-2 medium yellow onions)
1 15-oz. can pumpkin puree
2 pounds peeled and cubed butternut squash (you can buy it like this!)
3 cups vegetable broth
3 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 cup whole milk or half-and-half
Croutons, Greek yogurt, gruyere or gouda to serve

butternut squash soup

Photo by Theo Lee

1. Combine oil and butter in 6-quart or larger saucepan and cook over medium heat until butter has melted.

butternut squash soup

Photo by Theo Lee

2. Add chopped onions to oil and butter, and cook on low heat for 10 to 15 minutes until onions become translucent.

butternut squash soup

Photo by Theo Lee

3. Add pumpkin, cubed squash, vegetable broth and salt and pepper. Mix until combined.

butternut squash soup

Photo by Theo Lee

4. Cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 20 to 25 minutes, cooking until squash is very tender.

5. Remove from heat and beat with a hand-mixer on medium speed for about 5 minutes, or until soup reaches a thick, almost uniform consistency (the onions will not be chopped any further).

butternut squash soup

Photo by Theo Lee

6. Slowly add milk or half-and-half to soup, and continue beating until it’s incorporated (about 30 seconds).

butternut squash soup

Photo by Theo Lee

7. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes or until soup has reached desired temperature.

butternut squash soup

Photo by Theo Lee

8. Serve with toppings of your choice and enjoy! Trust me, you will.