It's time to stop the old cake, cookies, or brownies baking routine and brighten up your next dessert endeavor with an exotic, but wonderfully simple, Pavlova. It's the perfect first step into the exciting world of meringue without the frustration of piping. The unique texture and appearance will leave you looking like a baking master!

Simple Berry Pavlova

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 30 mins

• 4 egg whites
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon white vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 cup or half pint heavy cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • Fresh berries
pie, shortcake, chocolate, pastry, berry, sweet, cream, cake, strawberry
Emily Fischer

Make sure everything that is going to touch the egg whites, the bowl, mixer, and whisk attachment, are clean. Any residual fat will prevent your meringue from reaching its full height.

chocolate
    Emily Fischer

Move the baking rack to the bottom of the oven and preheat it to 250° Fahrenheit.

tea, coffee, pizza, beer
    Emily Fischer

Take a mixing bowl and trace a circle in pencil on a sheet of parchment paper. Flip it upside down and place it on a cooking sheet. This will give you a general outline for your meringue.

tea, cake
    Emily Fischer

Mix the sugar and cornstarch together.

cake, coffee, tea
    Emily Fischer

Separate the egg whites from the yolks. It helps to do this one egg at a time into a smaller bowl before transferring them to the mixing bowl so that if a yolk ruptures, you don't have to throw out all of your hard earned whites.

egg
    Emily Fischer

With the whisk attachment, begin whipping the egg whites on medium until they look frothy like the example below.

tea, espresso, cake, coffee
    Emily Fischer

Turn up the speed to medium-high and begin adding the sugar and cornstarch mixture a spoonful at a time.

dairy product, cream, milk, egg, dough, flour
    Emily Fischer

Once the sugar has been added, turn up the speed to high and watch as the meringue develops the texture of marshmallow fluff. The technical term for when you want to stop whipping the eggs is "stiff peaks" but I just whip them until they are thick and glossy with the whisk leaving defined trails even after you stop the mixer. Another trick is to rub a bit of the mixture in your fingers, it is ready when you cannot feel any more sugar grit.

meringue, cake, egg
    Emily Fischer

Remove the whisk and scrape off the meringue.

cream, cake
    Emily Fischer

Mix the extracts and vinegar and pour into the mixing bowl. Gently fold into the meringue with a spatula. It's a little weird putting vinegar in a dessert, but I promise you won't be able to taste it and it helps stabilize the tiny bubbles that you've worked so hard to form.

ice cream, ice
    Emily Fischer

Use the spatula to spread the meringue out inside the circle you drew earlier. I like to leave the edges messy, but you can also smooth them out. Both ways will look great!

milk, whipped cream, ice, cream
    Emily Fischer

Place the meringue on the bottom rack of the oven and set a timer for an hour. The key to a crispy crust and marshmallowy center is to bake low and slow.

dairy, pudding, meringue, sweet, dairy product, milk, cream
    Emily Fischer

When the meringue shell feels dry to the touch, prop the oven open with a wooden mixing spoon and let cool slowly for another hour. This minimizes the cracks that occur with rapid cooling.

pizza, espresso, kettle, beer, coffee
    Emily Fischer

However, don't worry if you see cracks forming on your meringue, they are usually unavoidable and most of them will be covered by the topping anyway.

sweet, flour, dough, dairy, bread, cheese, milk, dairy product
    Emily Fischer

Remove the meringue from the oven and let cool completely on a cooling rack. If you're not planning on serving the pavlova the same day, cover it well with saran wrap or place it in an airtight container. It should keep its crunch for a few days.

dairy, cheese, dairy product, cream, milk
    Emily Fischer

When you are almost ready to serve the pavlova, pour the cold heavy cream into the mixing bowl with the sugar and vanilla and whip it on high until it holds its shape. Pro tip: if you over-whip the cream, just add more cream a spoonful at a time until it looks smooth again.

cake, doughnut, milk, egg, coffee, chocolate, tea
    Emily Fischer

Spread the whipped cream over the meringue shell and top with berries.

dairy product, shortcake, pastry, chocolate, berry, sweet, whipped cream, cake, strawberry, cream
    Emily Fischer

Enjoy your stunning creation!