Baked potatoes are the bomb, partly because it’s really hard to mess it up. But you know what’s arguably prettier, healthier and yummier? Twice-baked sweet potatoes… talk about changing the game.

Sweet potatoes fill you up and can be eaten any time of day. It’s a pretty universal little buddy to have on hand. But then filling a sweet potato with some flavorful sausage, cheese and ploppin’ an egg on top — now that’s just good decision making.

Twice-Baked Breakfast Sweet Potatoes

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:65 minutes
  • Total Time:70 minutes
  • Servings:1-2

• 1 sweet potato
  • 3 oz sausage
  • 1/16 cup milk
  • 1/8 cup cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • Parsley (garnish)
Photo by Maddie Cole

Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Clean sweet potatoes and place on prepared baking sheet. With a fork, poke 4-6 holes evenly around each sweet potato.

GIF by Maddie Cole

Bake sweet potatoes for 40-50 minutes or until soft. The skins should be slightly wrinkled.

GIF by Maddie Cole

While sweet potatoes cook, brown and crumble sausage in a large skillet over medium heat for 5-8 minutes or until no longer pink. Reserve 1-2 tablespoons of sausage grease and drain the rest. Set sausage aside.

GIF by Maddie Cole

When sweet potatoes are done cooking, remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 375°F.

GIF by Maddie Cole

When cool enough to handle, slice potatoes down the side, taking care to make sure the potatoes halves will be able to sit upright on their own.

Using a spoon, scoop out the insides of sweet potatoes and place them in a large bowl, leaving 1/4 to 1/2 inch of potato flesh around the edges. Place potato skins back on the baking sheet and set aside for now.

Mash the removed sweet potato flesh, either with a potato masher, 2 forks, or with a hand mixer on low speed. Remove any pieces of sweet potato that are too tough or not cooked through enough.

GIF by Maddie Cole

Pour milk and sausage grease in with mashed sweet potatoes, then stir until milk and grease are absorbed. Add cheese and sausage to bowl and fold in with sweet potato until combined.

GIF by Maddie Cole

Using a large spoon, scoop out sausage sweet potato mix and spread within prepared sweet potato skins. When sweet potato skins are full, use the back of a spoon to create a well within the filling, large and deep enough to hold an egg.

GIF by Maddie Cole

Crack 1 egg within each well of the sweet potato skins. It’s okay if some of the egg white spills over.

GIF by Maddie Cole

Place prepared sweet potatoes back in the oven and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until egg whites are opaque.

GIF by Maddie Cole

Garnish potato skins with salt, pepper, and parsley, to taste. Serve immediately.

GIF by Maddie Cole