Fall has finally arrived, which means a) changing colors, b) cozy sweaters, and c) apple season. If you haven’t gone apple picking yet, I highly recommend rounding up your friends to go for a weekend. There is nothing more satisfying than biting into an apple straight from the tree. But let’s be real. I’m filling my bucket for one reason only: Pie.

But not just any apple pie. Salted. Caramel. Apple. Pie. Just imagine: A flaky, buttery crust bursting with freshly picked apples, sweet with a little bit of a tang surrounded by oozing caramel. That, my friends, is my dream of a perfect autumn pie. And trust me, this pie has got it all.

The caramel is the real star of the show, so don’t be afraid when drizzling it on. The sea salt cuts through the caramel so the pie isn’t overwhelmingly sweet and balances the flavors perfectly. Store-bought and homemade caramel both work fine, but you may need to adjust the salt depending on the brand.

Even if you can’t find a farm nearby, treat yourself to this quintessential fall pie. Once you go salted caramel, you won’t turn back. 

Salted Caramel Apple Pie

• Total Time:1 hr 20 mins

• 3 lemons
  • 5-6 medium to large apples
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 defrosted pie crusts
  • 1 cup caramel sauce
  • sugar for sprinkling on top
  • 2 tbsp almond milk
  • 1 tsp sea salt
apple, juice
Erin Voss

Peel, core, and slice apples thinly, about ¼ inch. Juice lemons and place in a large bowl with apple slices.

#SpoonTip: Try using a mix of apples such as Granny Smith, Crispin, and Golden Delicious.

sweet, vegetable
    Erin Voss

In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar, and spices. Sprinkle spice mixture over apples and mix to coat all the slices.

flour
    Erin Voss

Preheat oven to 425°F.

Place one pie crust in a 9-inch circular pie pan. If making a lattice crust, roll out second pie crust so it is a circle 1-2 inches wider than the pan. Cut out 1 inch strips using a knife or pizza cutter. You should have 8-10 strips total.

sweet, dairy product, cream, cake, pastry
    Erin Voss

Begin by layering 1/3 of apples in the pie pan. Spoon 1/4 cup of caramel over the apples.

sweet, cake, chocolate, dairy product, cream
    Erin Voss

Continue alternating layers of apple and caramel, reserving the last 1/4 cup of caramel for drizzling later.

cake, caramel, cream, pastry, chocolate, sweet
    Erin Voss

Assemble lattice crust like a weave. Start with two long pieces and form a cross.

cake, sweet, cream, pastry, caramel, chocolate
    Erin Voss

Place a third strip an inch away from the first strip. It should be on top of the horizontal strip and parallel to the vertical strip.

cake, sweet, cream, pastry
    Erin Voss

Carefully fold back one side of the horizontal strip and add a fourth strip parallel to the other two.

cake, cream, sweet
    Erin Voss

Put folded strip back flat. It should look like the beginnings of a woven blanket.

cake, cheese
    Erin Voss

Fold back strips that are under the first horizontal strip and place a second horizontal strip 1 inch from the first. Unfold strips so they lay flat again.

cheese, cake, honey
    Erin Voss

Continue alternating folding back and placing strips of crust until you have covered the top of the pie. You may have some extra strips.

#SpoonTip: Never waste scraps! Sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on the extras and bake them until golden brown with the pie for a crispy treat.

GIF by Clara Park

Crimp edges of the pie by pressing two crusts together using your index finger and thumb.

sweet, cake, pastry, pie
    Erin Voss

Brush crust with almond milk and sprinkle on the sugar and sea salt.

Place pie on a baking sheet covered with foil or parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes. Be careful caramel doesn’t bubble over and burn the bottom of your oven.

Then, reduce the temperature to 375°F and bake for 25-35 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when apples are just soft. You can test this with a toothpick or small knife.

sweet, pastry, cake, pie, bread
    Erin Voss

Let the pie cool, then slice and enjoy. Don't forget to drizzle extra caramel!

sweet, cake
    Erin Voss