This summery side dish needs just a few ingredients and makes a colorful addition to any plate. The flavor of the roast peppers combined with the satisfying crunch of cucumber is a nice topping for a baguette with cheese and goes well with a meat course at a barbeque. Enjoy it your way!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
(Wait Time: 20 minutes)*
Total Time: 40 minutes + wait
*Note: You can roast the peppers ahead of time and make the salad later.
2 red bell peppers
1 green bell pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
1. Turn oven to high broil.
2. Lightly coat the peppers with about a spoonful of olive oil each, making sure to cover them entirely. Place the peppers on a baking sheet and place in the oven.
3. Let peppers roast until the skins begin to show dark patches, about 10 minutes. This will vary by oven and pepper, so stay nearby. When one side of the pepper darkens, use tongs to turn the peppers and cook on the other side, about another 10 minutes.
4. Carefully remove the peppers from the oven. Place them in a heat-safe bowl and cover. This will allow the steam to finish cooking them, and make it easier to remove the skin should you wish to do so.
5. Cut the cucumber into chunks and set aside.
6. When the peppers are cool enough to handle, take them from the bowl, remove the stem and clean out the seeds. If desired, remove the skin.
7. Slice the pepper thinly and toss together.
8. Add the cucumbers immediately before serving. Enjoy!