With Valentine's Day approaching, you might be scrambling to find a date or deciding on what latest HBO show you will binge watch while eating chocolate all day. However, you don't have to settle for the boring, heart shaped chocolates that fill the supermarket shelves, when you can make these rich, chocolate-dipped honey cake bars. Perfect to share with your date or indulge in all by yourself. 

Chocolate-Dipped Honey Cake Bars

• 3 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoosn baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup yogurt or sour cream
  • About 2 cups chocolate
  • Toppings
coffee
Viktoriya Glibo

Heat the oven to 350°. Grease a 9 inch by 13 inch pan and flour the bottom and the sides. You can also use non-stick cooking spray and coat with sugar.

In a medium bowl, combine the butter with the sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Then add eggs, honey and yogurt. Mix until well blended.

cream, cake
    Viktoriya Glibo

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Then add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture in several parts, mixing gently. When the batter becomes smooth, transfer it to the prepared pan and put it in the oven for about 40 to 45 minutes.

pie, bread, cream, dairy product, sweet, flour, dough, cake, pastry
    Viktoriya Glibo

Once the cake is done baking, set it aside to cool. In a small bowl, place a few cups of chocolate, dark or semi-sweet works best, to melt. You can melt it in the microwave with 30 second intervals or use a double boiler. Add in a little milk or cream if desired to make the chocolate thinner.

sweet, cereal, coffee, chocolate
    Viktoriya Glibo

When the cake is completely cooled, cut it into little bars or any desired shapes. Then dip, drip or drizzle on the melted chocolate. Before the chocolate sets, decorate the top with your favorite toppings, such as coconut, chopped nuts or candy. Enjoy!

cream, coconut, cake, chocolate
    Viktoriya Glibo

Tips:

The type of honey you choose will change the darkness of the cake. I noticed using artificial honey results in a darker cake, while raw, organic honey will cause a lighter cake. 

These bars are best made in advance. You can let them sit in a cool room for a few days before serving.

rice, coconut, chocolate
Viktoriya Glibo