When holiday season is nearing, I always know a jar of peppermint bark will be waiting for me. I soon realized that peppermint bark should be eaten for more than just the Christmas season. With this thought in mind, I came up with this recipe for Fourth of July Peppermint Bark.

#SpoonTip: You can either hand sort through a bag of M&M’s or you can purchase a bag of Fourth of July M&M’s (although those are trickier to find).

Red, White and Blue Peppermint Bark

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:40 minutes
  • Total Time:50 minutes

• 12 oz semisweet chocolate
  • 12 oz white chocolate
  • 10 hard peppermint candies
  • 1/2 cup red and blue mini M&M's
  • 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
Photo by Jayna Goldstein

Separate the red and blue M&M’s from a bag of multicolored M&M’s. If you’re lucky you can find 4th of July M&M’s.

Photo by Jayna Goldstein

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. To ensure the parchment paper sticks to the cookie sheet you can spray it first with pam.

Photo by Jayna Goldstein

Melt the semisweet chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for 15 second intervals, until it is completely melted. Stir in the peppermint extract.

Photo by Jayna Goldstein

Spread the chocolate on the cookie sheet.

Photo by Jayna Goldstein

Place a handful of M&M’s on top and press them in. Let it set in the freezer for 10 minutes.

Photo by Jayna Goldstein

In the meantime, crush your peppermint candies by placing them in a ziploc bag and crushing them with a rolling pin or against the counter.

Photo by Jayna Goldstein

Melt the white chocolate the same way you melted the semi-sweet chocolate. Once it is melted, pour it on top of the set semi-sweet chocolate.

Photo by Jayna Goldstein

Sprinkle the crushed peppermint candies and M&M’s on top of the white chocolate. Gently press them down to make sure they stick to the white chocolate.

Photo by Jayna Goldstein

Let the bark set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Break apart the bark and enjoy.

Photo by Jayna Goldstein