If you are like me, the first thing you think about when you wake up in the morning is “I’m starving. What breakfast can I eat in the next 10 minutes that will help me survive this 8:30.” After much trial and error, I have found that 10 minute dish that is absolutely delicious, relatively inexpensive and will power you through your daily activities.

I spent a good half an hour brainstorming creative recipe names with my friend Monnett and the best we came up with was “Sweet sweet hash, hashing your way to class, start your day off with some hash, hash up a good time with my sweet eggs, naked and hungry, almost vegan breakfast hash, back country cooking: potatoes and eggs, tap dat hash, no famine here: sweet potato hash, trying to impress your vegetarian spinning instructor hash”. Basically we just took any phrase and put the word “hash” at the end of it. The name of this recipe doesn’t matter, all that does matter is how you feel when you take that first bite.

Sweet Potato and Fried Egg Hash

• Prep Time:2 minutes
  • Cook Time:8 minutes
  • Total Time:10 minutes
  • Servings:1 serving

• 2 Eggs
  • 2 cup Spinach
  • 1/2 Sweet potato
  • 1/2 Avocado
  • Goat Cheese
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Hot Sauce (optional)
Photo by Monnett Hamilton

Rinse your sweet potato and spinach under warm water.

#SpoonTip:Always rinse produce from the store, even if it comes pre-packaged.

Photo by Monnett Hamilton

Place sweet potato on a clean cutting board and slice the potato in half long ways or if we were in kindergarten “hot dog” ways.

Photo by Monnett Hamilton

Take on of the sweet potato halves and dice it into penny size pieces.

Photo by Monnett Hamilton

Set a skillet on a stovetop burner and set the heat to medium. Then spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray. Allow the pan to warm, then toss your sweet potato dices in.

Photo by Monnett Hamilton

Gently move the sweet potatoes with a wooden spoon until they begin to brown slightly.

Photo by Monnett Hamilton

Toss the spinach in the potato mixture. Mix until the spinach is sautéed and the leaves are wilted. Transfer vegetables to separate plate.

Photo by Monnett Hamilton

Place the pan back on the burner and drizzle with olive oil. Crack one of the eggs straight into the center of the pan.

Photo by Monnett Hamilton

Allow the egg to cook for two minutes or until a light white coating has formed on the yoke, remove it with a spatula. Repeat with the second egg.

Photo by Monnett Hamilton

Lay the eggs on top of the potato and spinach mixture. Add salt and pepper to your liking.

Photo by Monnett Hamilton

Garnish with hot sauce, goat cheese crumbles, and avocado.

Photo by Monnett Hamilton