As the weather starts to cool down, consider planning one final barbecue to end your summer with a bang. Take a break from the usual burgers and hot dogs with this simple recipe. While this takes some time and planning ahead to cook, it requires very little hands on work and produces a very tasty end result. Pair this recipe with a corn salad, summer cocktail, and blueberry crisp for a well-rounded meal that will satisfy any crowd.
Adapted from Lucinda Scala Quinn’s Mad Hungry Cravings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours 15 minutes
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 ½ tablespoons cumin
1 ½ teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
7.5 pounds bone-in pork shoulder
18 ounces Guinness
3 ounces whiskey
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
5 garlic cloves
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Combine brown sugar, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper.
3. Rub spices all over pork.
4. Put pork fat side up in a cast iron pot and add Guinness, whiskey, apple cider vinegar and garlic.
5. Bring liquid to a boil over high heat.
6. Cover and transfer to the oven for 4 hours.
7. Use forks to shred pork and stir.
8. Serve plain or with the barbecue sauce of your choice.