Are you tired of waiting forever at Leo’s for eggs or an omelette? It’s easy to make awesome egg recipes right in your common room or apartment, and all you need is a microwave. Eggs are a protein-packed choice for a power breakfast or even a mid-day snack without even needing to turn on the stove. Cooking an egg in the microwave may sound pretty funky, but it’s a speedy way to whip up a delicious meal that you can take on the go. Save your time and meal swipes at the dining hall, and try this recipe for breakfast – it’s like a fast food breakfast sandwich, but less sketchy.
Prep Time: 4 mins
Cook Time: 1 min
Total Time: 5 mins
1 English muffin
1 slice of cheese
1 breakfast protein (I use a meatless sausage- other good options are bacon or slices of turkey or ham)
Pinch of salt and pepper/seasoning
1. Spray a mug or small microwavable bowl with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Cook the breakfast patty in the microwave according to the directions on the package.
3. Crack the egg into the bowl, add the salt and pepper (or other seasoning) and whisk with a fork. If you’re using other add-ins, stir them in too.
4. Microwave the egg on high for 30 second intervals. My microwave takes a minute, but yours may take more or less time depending on the strength. Watch out not to let it cook too long or it will explode!
5. Toast an english muffin while you’re waiting.
6. Assemble your sandwich! The egg should flip right out of the bowl. Melt the cheese on the patty or the cooked egg and you’ve got yourself a tasty breakfast.
Burrito: Chop up the cooked egg and put it in a tortilla with salsa, shredded cheese and onions.
Open Faced Sandwich: Top a piece of pita bread with avocado slices and the egg.
Florentine Quiche for One: Mix in spinach and feta.
Have fun with it and add in whatever you usually like to have in your omelet!