Hondurans are all about their plantains. When I was traveling around Honduras in 2010, I took notice of two particular snacks that I saw being made all over the country: Tostones (twice fried plantains) and plantain and cheese turnovers.

These are both quick, easy recipes that show how simple it is to use plantains two ways: ripe and unripe. Both will blow your mind.

plantain

Photo by Liz Unger

Tostones (adapted from La Gringa’s Blogicita)

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: About 20 minutes

Servings: 4

3 large green plantains
vegetable oil for frying
salt
mantequilla blanca

1. Heat oil in a heavy skillet; you will know if the oil is hot enough for frying if you stick a wooden spoon into the pan and the oil bubbles around it.
2. Peel the plantains with a knife, slice into 1″ pieces.
3. Fill the heated skillet with one layer of plantain slices, fry for 3-4 minutes or until the pieces are a deep golden yellow. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels. Repeat frying process with the rest of the plantain slices.
4. Take a flat-bottomed cup and smash each piece while they are still warm; the smashed slices should be about ¼” thick.
5. Re-fry the smashed plantain slices for 3 minutes or so, until they are crisp on the outside and softer on the inside. They should have a deep golden color with brown tinges.
6. Salt and serve Honduran style, topped with mantequilla blanca—a condiment similar to crème fraîche. Feeling Panamanian? Try ketchup.

plantain

Photo by Liz Unger

Plantain and Cheese Turnovers (adapted from Global Table Adventure)

Medium

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: About 45 minutes

Servings: makes 8-10 turnovers

4 large, yellow and black plantains
¼ cup flour
8 tablespoons butter, softened and cubed
6 oz mild, creamy cheese
salt
½ cup flour for dredging
vegetable oil for frying

1. Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Throw the plantains in, skins and all, and boil for 10-12 minutes.
2. While the plantains cook, shred the cheese with a grater.

plantain

Photo by Liz Unger

3. Remove the plantains and allow them to cool. Peel the skins and cut the plantains into 2″ pieces.
4. Mix the plantains along with the butter, flour and salt in a dough mixer or food processor. Start out using a small amount of flour, around ⅛ of a cup, and keep adding until ¼ cup is used. The dough should not be sticky.
5. Once you have workable dough, tear off a palm-sized piece and flatten with your fingers to about ¼” or ½”, depending on how thick you would like your turnovers.
6. Add a hefty pinch of the shredded cheese to the middle of the disc, and fold the dough over into a half-moon shape. Press the edges to seal.
7. Coat the turnovers in flour and shake off any excess before frying them in a large skillet filled with hot vegetable oil
8. Fry the turnovers 2-3 minutes per side over medium-high heat, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt; serve hot.

plantain

Photo by Liz Unger