Spoon University Logo
Recipes

Nothing Is Better Than Abuelita’s Tamales

The following recipe and excerpt for Abuelita’s Tamales are from “PIXAR: The Official Cookbook” by S. T. Bende and Tara Theoharis. It’s available for purchase on Amazon.

Never say no to your grandmother — especially when she’s offering food! Miguel quickly learns to graciously accept his grandmother’s offerings, despite having an already full plate. After all, Abuelita’s Tamales are a Rivera family classic. And this pork tamale recipe, inspired by the beloved matriarch, is sure to have everyone clamoring for more. Salty, savory, and nostalgic, Abuelita’s Tamales evoke all feelings of love and security that come from sharing a meal with loved ones—from both sides of the Marigold Bridge.

Abuelita’s Tamales

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 40 minutesCook time:2 hours 32 minutesTotal time:3 hours 12 minutesServings:20 servings

Instructions

1. Make the pork filling: Fill a large Dutch oven or pot with the pork, water, onion, garlic, two teaspoons of salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil over high heat and then simmer on low uncovered for 90 minutes, or until the pork is tender and can easily shred with a fork. While the pork is cooking, start to soak the husks: Place the corn husks in a large bowl and cover with warm water. Soak for 30 minutes or until husks are softened.
  2. Make the sauce: Heat the canola oil in a small saucepan over medium heat and then whisk in the flour for 1 minute. Add the chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and whisk for 1 additional minute. Whisk in the tomato sauce and vegetable broth, then simmer on low heat for 10 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Remove the pork from the broth and let cool. Strain and reserve 2 cups of the broth for later. Once cooled, discard any fat and shred the pork using two forks. Mix the pork with the red sauce and set aside.
  3. Make the dough: Mix the lard and 1 tablespoon of the reserved pork broth together in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix until fluffy. Add the masa harina, baking powder, and the remaining ½ teaspoons salt and cumin, and mix. Slowly add in the rest of broth (totaling 2 cups) while mixing on low. Increase the mixing speed to medium and mix for 10 minutes or until the dough is fluffy and spongy, occasionally stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl.
  4. Remove the husks from the water if you haven’t already and let sit on a paper towel. Taking one
    husk at a time, spread approximately 3 tablespoons of dough onto the husk, making a 3- to 4-inch square about 1/4 inch thick.
  5. Place 1 1/2 tablespoons of the pork filling in a line in the center of the dough square. Fold the husk vertically, closing the masa dough over the filling. Fold over the additional vertical husk edge, and then fold up the top and bottom parts of the husk, as if making a burrito. Continue with the rest of the tamales.
  6. Lay additional corn husks on the bottom of a steamer rack and place the tamales in the steamer, standing upright. Place soaked corn husks or a wet towel on the top of the tamales, and cover with a lid.
  7. Bring the steamer water to boiling over high heat, then reduce heat to low to simmer and steam for 45 to 60 minutes. Tamales are done when the husk pulls away from the tamale easily.
  8. Let sit for 10 minutes to help them stiffen up, then remove the husk and enjoy.

Notes

• Special tools needed: Steamer
Giselle Medina is the associate editor for Spoon University where she helps oversee food coverage of news, pop culture, trends, and celebrities. As someone with a huge sweet tooth, she's always on the hunt for a good chocolate chip cookie. Shoot her an email at gisellemedina@hercampus.com or follow her @giselle_medinaa.