The telltale sign of summer for me is always when fresh watermelon becomes available. There’s something so nice about fresh summer dinners that are centered around seasonal produce, specifically sweet corn and watermelon.

watermelon

Photo by Lara Schwieger

We might not be there yet (especially with these random days of rain), but I’m officially on the countdown. I found the best watermelon at Whole Foods last week and celebrated by making this Agua Fresca.

Agua Fresca is Spanish for cool waters, and it is made by blending together fresh fruit, water and sugar to create a refreshing mix. They’re often made in a variety of flavors such as mango, guava, cantaloupe or grapefruit. This updated version of the traditional Spanish drink uses fresh lime and mint, which are the ultimate complements to the sweet melon.

Do yourself a favor and blend this up while you’re studying so you too can pretend it’s summer.

Easy

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes

Servings: 2 servings

watermelon

Photo by Lara Schwieger

4 cups chopped watermelon
½ cup water
2 limes
2-3 sprigs mint
Ice
2 tablespoons agave, honey or simple syrup

watermelon

Photo by Lara Schwieger

1. Place watermelon chunks in a blender and blend until smooth. You may need to add a bit of water to help the process along.

watermelon

Photo by Lara Schwieger

2. Strain through a fine mesh sieve to strain out any seeds. If you’re a college student and you don’t own a fine mesh sieve, use coffee filters + a funnel a la Cold Brew Coffee.

3. Juice 1 lime and slice another into thin slices.

watermelon

Photo by Lara Schwieger

4. In a large container (I used a carafe, but a mason jar would work equally as well), add the watermelon juice, lime juice and water. Add mint sprigs and use a spoon to muddle the mint a bit.

watermelon

Photo by Lara Schwieger

5. Chill for 1-2 hours and serve over ice.

watermelon

Photo by Lara Schwieger

Looking for more ways to get your watermelon fix?: