In the spirit of brazen Southern pride, I’ve decided to buck the matzah toffee and apple cakes of traditional Passover Seders in favor of truly flavorful and exciting dishes that reflect Mexican culture. For those who read their iPhones behind the Haggadahs, there is no leavened bread allowed on Passover (this includes breads, cakes, and any either risen and delicious product). However, below I’ve demonstrated how to make Mexican Chewy Cookies and Arroz con Leche, both of which satisfy the rules against Chametz.*

Both of these recipes can be made in dorm room kitchens and if you’re not serving a large crowd, you can halve the recipes (for the cookies, just use 2 egg whites instead of three). Both of these recipes are gluten free.

Note: some Jews also refrain from Kitniyot, which includes rice. Check with your family beforehand just to make sure you don’t ruffle any old-fashioned tail feathers.

Mexican Chewy Cookies, Adapted from The Homesick Texan Cookbook by Lisa Fain

Medium

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes

Servings: 36

2 cups pecans, roughly chopped (or walnuts, almonds, etc)
2 ½ cups powdered sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon chipotle chili powder (optional)
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
3 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2.Place your chopped nuts in a microwave safe dish and microwave in 30 second increments until they are warm and fragrant.
3. Mix together the nuts with the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and salt (and the chipotle powder if you have it on hand).

Passover

Photo by Taylor Lashley

4. Stir the egg whites and vanilla extract into the dry mixture by hand until the batter is well mixed. If you want to add chocolate chips, now’s the time to add them.

Passover

Photo by Taylor Lashley

5. Drop a tablespoon size amount of batter onto the baking sheet a few inches apart—these cookies expand when they enter the oven. Bake for 15 minutes or until tops are crackling and shiny.
6. Remove cookies from the oven and let cool for 20 minutes before removing form the parchment paper. They will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container or bag.

Passover

Photo by Taylor Lashley

Arroz con Leche, Adapted from The Homesick Texan Cookbook by Lisa Fain

Medium

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45-60 minutes
Total time: 60-75 minutes

Servings: 6

1 cup rice, uncooked
1 cinnamon stick or 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 strip of orange peel
4 whole cloves
4 cups whole milk
¼ cup granulated sugar (plus more to taste)
½ teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ground cinnamon and sliced almonds for serving

1. In a large pot, add rice, cinnamon (stick or ground), orange peel, and cloves, along with three cups of water. Turn the heat to high, and bring to a boil before bringing the heat down to low. Cover the pot and cook for 5 minutes.
2. After 5 minutes, remove the cover and simmer until the water is gone, approximately 10-15 minutes. Once the water has evaporated, add the milk and sugar. The heat should still be low. Cover for 10 minutes, and then remove.
3. Stir every five minutes until the rice is fluffy and the milk has thickened to a thick sauce, about 25-30 minutes. Stir in salt, butter, and vanilla. Taste and add sugar if desired.
4. Once the arroz con leche has thickened, serve warm with sliced almonds and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.

Passover

Photo by Taylor Lashley

For more Passover recipes, check out these articles: