With Halloween right around the corner, pumpkins are widely available. If you make a Jack-o-lanter, don’t toss out the seeds when you clean your pumpkin! Roasted pumpkin seeds are a tasty (and versatile) snack. You can buy them in stores, buy it’s much cheaper to make them yourself if you’re already planning on cutting up a pumpkin. Here are five ways to dress up the simple fall seed, which are perfect for a bite between classes or to serve at your Halloween party. The measurements of the spices are approximate and can be adjusted to taste.

Simple Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Easy

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes

Servings: About 1 cup of seeds 

Seeds from 1 pumpkin
2 tablespoons butter
Salt to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove seeds from pumpkin and place them in a large bowl.

pumpkin seeds

Photo by Tallie Gabriel

2. Fill the bowl with warm water and let rest for 5 minutes. This will loosen any bits of pumpkin from the seeds.
3. Pour the seeds and water through a strainer. Dispose of any remaining pumpkin clumps.

pumpkin seeds

Photo by Tallie Gabriel

4. Pour the pumpkin seeds onto a paper towel and dab them dry.
5. Move the seeds onto a baking pan and spread them evenly. Melt butter in a microwave for about 20 seconds.
6. Drizzle the butter over the seeds.
7. Cook the seeds in the oven for 5-10 minutes or until they start to look golden brown. Remove and let cool.

pumpkin seeds

Photo by Tallie Gabriel

8. Top with a sprinkling of salt.

Ginger Orange Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Seeds from 1 pumpkin
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 tablespoon orange zest
1 tablespoon sugar

pumpkin seeds

Photo by Tallie Gabriel

5. Melt butter in a microwave for about 20 seconds.
6. Put the butter, ginger, orange zest and sugar into a plastic bag. Add pumpkin seeds to bag.
7. Shake bag until seeds are coated evenly.

pumpkin seeds

Photo by Tallie Gabriel

8. Move the seeds to a baking pan and spread them evenly.
9. Cook the seeds in the oven for 5-10 minutes or until they start to look golden brown. Remove and let cool.

Pumpkin Pie Flavored Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Seeds from 1 pumpkin
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

pumpkin seeds

Photo by Tallie Gabriel

6. Put the butter, cinnamon sugar and pumpkin pie spice into a plastic bag. Add pumpkin seeds to bag.

Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Seeds from 1 pumpkin
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
Salt to taste

pumpkin seeds

Photo by Tallie Gabriel

6. Put the butter, chili powder, onion powder and salt into a plastic bag. Add pumpkin seeds to bag.

Garlic & Parmesan Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Seeds from 1 pumpkin
2 tablespoons butter
1 and ½ tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
½ tablespoon garlic powder
Pepper to taste

pumpkin seeds

Photo by Tallie Gabriel

6. Put the butter, cheese, garlic powder and pepper into a plastic bag. Add pumpkin seeds to bag.

pumpkin seeds

Photo by Tallie Gabriel