I came across the recipe for these easy cookies & cream bars on the eve of my roommate’s birthday after I had promised her a homemade dessert. With no oven in my dorm and a limited selection of goods available at the local convenience store, I was left scrounging for something that fit under the umbrella of homemade, but required next-to-no effort.

These bars were the solution to my hindering circumstances. They are super simple, only require three ingredients, and are a perfect last-minute treat for forgotten birthdays.

Marshmallow Cookies and Cream Bars

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:0 minutes
  • Total Time:15 minutes
  • Servings:9 big squares or 16 small squares

• 1 16-oz. package Oreos (Original and Golden)
  • 5 cup large marshmallows
  • 4 tablespoon butter

Step 1

Line an 8×8 brownie pan with foil or parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.

Step 2

Put Oreos in a large plastic bag and crush with a textbook or your fist until you have a relatively fine crumb. It is okay for there to be some bigger pieces as they add texture and crunch to the finished product.

Photo by Francesca Rinaldo
Photo by Francesca Rinaldo

Step 3

Put the marshmallows and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 1/2 to 3 minutes (depending on the strength of your microwave) until puffed and soft.

Photo by Francesca Rinaldo
Photo by Francesca Rinaldo

Step 4

Combine the Oreo crumbs and the marshmallows and mix until well-combined.

Photo by Francesca Rinaldo
Photo by Francesca Rinaldo

Step 5

Transfer the mixture to the brownie pan and let set at room temperature for 10-15 minutes or 5 minutes in the fridge if you are in a hurry.

Photo by Francesca Rinaldo
Photo by Francesca Rinaldo

Step 6

Remove bars from pan and cut into manageable squares. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to a week.

Photo by Francesca Rinaldo
Photo by Francesca Rinaldo