Let’s face it, the best part of any muffin is always the crispy, yet chewy, top. Muffins are typically high in fat and sugar, which is extremely unfortunate because they are just down right delicious. All I want is to be able to have this sweet comfort food without feeling the guilt and additional pounds. Here is one muffin top you can eat without gaining one.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 10 muffin tops
Pan spray (for greasing)
1½ cups mix of whole wheat flour and flaxseed meal
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon fine salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
⅓ cup low fat milk
1 teaspoon orange zest
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
⅔ cup dried cranberries
⅔ cup frozen blueberries (optional)
⅓ cup reduced fat maple syrup
1 tablespoon sugar
6 tablespoons margarine (softened)
1 tablespoon lime juice
sprinkle of brown sugar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium bowl, mix salt, flour/meal, baking soda.
3. In a separate bowl, mix egg, sugar, maple syrup, cranberries, margarine, lime juice, zest, milk, vanilla.
4. Slowly combine dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
5. Fold in frozen blueberries (optional).
6. With ¼ measuring cup scoop mixture onto a well greased cookie sheet.
7. Sprinkle brown sugar on top of each muffin top (optional).
8. Bake for 20 minutes on the upper racks of the oven.
9. Let muffin tops cool and enjoy guilt-free.
Classic Panera Muffin: 440 calories, 17g fat, 6g protein, 39g sugar, 2g fiber
Our Healthy Muffin Top: 100.5 calories, 1.4g fat, 2.4g protein, 8g sugar, 6g fiber
Check out these other related articles: