If you grew up in the Midwest, you probably remember Muddy Buddies (aka Puppy Chow) as the star of every bake sale. Now that you're an adult, make and eat a whole batch by yourself and feel like a champion. Here's an easy homemade Muddy Buddy recipe to help you #tbt to simpler times.

Crispy Chex cereal gets a major upgrade when it's coated in melted peanut butter and chocolate, and tossed so lovingly in as much or as little powdered sugar as your heart desired (#YourMuddyBuddiesYourChoice).

cereal, chocolate, sweet, candy
Katherine Baker

Sweet, crunchy, nutty, and full of chocolate, Puppy Chow is arguably one of the most addictive desserts in existence. All you need is a few simple ingredients, a microwave-safe bowl, and 20 minutes. 

So make this easy Muddy Buddy recipe ASAP. Trust me, when you're looking up from the empty bowl in a few hours wondering how you managed to consume an entire batch so quickly, you'll be darn glad you did.

Easy Muddy Buddy Recipe

• Cook Time:0

• 6 cups Chex cereal
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons butter or non-dairy butter - optional
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla - optional
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar - more if desired
chocolate, cereal, candy, sweet
Katherine Baker

In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate by heating in 30-second increments, stirring between each until chocolate is almost (but not completely) melted. This will take 60-90 seconds, depending on your microwave.

ice, dairy product, chocolate, candy, milk, cream, sweet
    Katherine Baker

Add peanut butter and butter (if using) to chocolate, and continue to microwave again in 30-second increments until both chocolate and peanut butter are melted, roughly 60-90 more seconds.

milk chocolate, goody, cream, milk, sweet, candy, chocolate
    Katherine Baker

Mix chocolate and peanut butter mixture well.

Add cereal to chocolate and peanut butter mixture, and stir gently to coat the cereal in the chocolate peanut butter mixture, being careful to not crush the cereal.

cereal, candy, chocolate, cream, milk, sweet
    Katherine Baker

Pour cereal mixture into a large resealable food bag. Add powdered sugar and shake until cereal is evenly coated.

coffee, candy, sweet, chocolate
    Katherine Baker

Spread mixture onto a parchment or wax paper-lined baking sheet, allow to cool, and enjoy. Store in an airtight plastic bag or container.

chocolate, candy, sweet, cereal
    Katherine Baker