After a long day of class, fast and convenient foods are most likely on your mind for dinner. While scrambled eggs or leftovers will definitely fuel you for the night ahead, you’d be surprised how easy it is to make a homemade pasta dish. With minimal preparation and just a few staple ingredients, penne with cherry tomatoes, basil and mozzarella can be made in just 20 minutes.
Although this pasta is meatless, guys and other meat lovers are sure to approve. The classic Italian flavors of cherry tomatoes – which burst when sautéed, forming a light sauce – bite-sized creamy mozzarella and fresh basil are what make this dish so delicious. You can even interchange your favorite vegetables and cheeses (like zucchini, parmesan and pesto) to keep this recipe interesting and to fit your taste. All you have to do is following the steps below; boil your pasta, then add it directly to a hot skillet with the cooked veggies for an incredibly easy and satisfying dinner. Garnish the pasta with cheese and herbs and you’ve made a healthy home cooked meal in no time.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Total Time: 20 min
6 oz penne pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1 garlic glove, diced
2 tablespoons onion, diced
2 ounces Boccaccini (mini mozzarella)
1 handful fresh basil leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Add pasta and cook for 8 minutes or until tender but firm to the bite.
3. While the pasta cooks, heat olive oil in a large skillet over a medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
4. Add the onion and cherry tomatoes and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until the tomatoes start to soften on a medium heat.
5. Drain the pasta from the boiling water (reserving a few tablespoons of the liquid) and add the pasta directly into the skillet with the tomatoes.
6. Add the mini mozzarella and fresh basil and lightly toss until combined. If desired, add the reserved pasta water for a “saucier” pasta.
7. Salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve hot and enjoy.
Get more pasta recipes here: