I’ve been baking since middle school when I got my very first cookbook, the Nestle Tollhouse Recipe Collections. I’ve made most of the recipes in this book; while many haven’t been successes, there are some that will stick with me forever, including this chocolate chip pancake recipe.

I make them often, and I talk about them so much that some of my friends have even started calling me “Pancakes.” These pancakes are so light that you can eat five and still won’t even feel full. Since I first made them, I have perfected the recipe. But what’s different about my pancakes is that I present them in a special way: I stack the pancakes and spread layers of a flavorful topping (like Nutella, cookie butter, dulce de leche or even peanut butter) and whipped cream in between the pancakes to create what I call “The Ultimate Pancake Tower.” Similar to a layered cake with the perfect blend of sweet flavors, this pancake tower is bound to satisfy you any time of day.

The Ultimate Pancake Tower

• Prep Time:8 minutes
  • Cook Time:30 minutes
  • Total Time:38 minutes
  • Servings:18 servings

• 2 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 3/4 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • Chocolate chips
  • Nutella
  • Whipped cream
Photo by Gabby Phi

Combine the flour with the baking powder.

Photo by Gabby Phi

Mix the eggs, melted butter, brown sugar and milk.

Photo by Gabby Phi

Add flour and baking powder into the wet ingredients.

Photo by Gabby Phi

Mix until well-combined. It is okay for the batter to be lumpy. #SpoonTip: if the batter is too thick, add more milk.

Photo by Gabby Phi

Heat a skillet on low to medium heat. Spray with cooking spray and pour in about 1/2 cup of the batter. Spread into a thin circle.

Photo by Gabby Phi

Sprinkle in some chocolate chips. #SpoonTip: you can use your favorite topping like blueberries, nuts, Oreos — the options are endless!

Photo by Gabby Phi

Flip the pancake when it begins to form air bubbles around the edges, and proceed to cook the other side. Remove from heat, and repeat the process until you run out of batter. #SpoonTip: the second side will cook much faster.

Photo by Gabby Phi

Place a pancake on a plate and top with Nutella. #SpoonTip: you don’t have to use Nutella. You can use anything, from peanut butter to dulce de leche to cookie butter.

Photo by Gabby Phi

Spread some whipped cream on top of the nutella.

Photo by Gabby Phi

Place another pancake on top of the first pancake, and repeat the process until you run out of pancakes.

Photo by Gabby Phi

Top with whipped cream and chocolate sauce, and dig in!

Photo by Gabby Phi