Pumpkin cheesecake is arguably rising up in the ranks as one of fall’s staple desserts. And, thankfully, it seems to be one of the least basic fall foods out there. Who can resist a beautiful marriage of creamy, spicy, and crunchy? Here’s a recipe that combines this fall classic with french toast – perfect for turkey day, a fall day, or really just any day you want to indulge yourself.

Large pieces of challah bread are stuffed with cream cheese, Trader Joe’s pumpkin cookie butter, and crushed graham crackers – all fried together into one gooey, tender breakfast item. I can hear your stomach growling already.

Pumpkin Cheesecake-Stuffed French Toast

• Prep Time:30 minutes
  • Cook Time:15 minutes
  • Total Time:45 minutes
  • Servings:6 slices of French toast
  • Advanced

• 1 loaf challah bread, sliced into 2 inch-thick slices
  • 8 oz whipped cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin cookie butter
  • 1/4 cup roughly crushed graham crackers, plus more for garnish
  • 3 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
  • Oil for frying
  • Syrup
  • Whipped cream (optional)
  • Powdered sugar (optional)
Photo by Jaime Wilson

Combine cream cheese, pumpkin cookie butter, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix until thoroughly incorporated.#SpoonTip: Pumpkin puree works just as well as the cookie butter. But seriously, how can you pass up pumpkin spice cookie butter?

Photo by Jaime Wilson

Fold in crushed graham crackers carefully, making sure that the pieces don’t crumble any more.

Photo by Jaime Wilson

Cut a slit in the bottom of each slice of bread and spread the slits slightly to make pockets for the filling. #SpoonTip: Be careful not to cut too close to any of the other three edges.

Photo by Jaime Wilson

Transfer cream cheese mixture into a piping bag or a resealable plastic bag. Snip off an end and pipe roughly two tablespoons of filling into each slice.

Photo by Jaime Wilson

Whisk together milk, eggs, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.

Photo by Jaime Wilson

Dip a slice of bread in the milk mixture and let it sit for about 15 seconds per side.

Photo by Jaime Wilson

Pour roughly two tablespoons of oil into a skillet, and put on medium high heat. Place soaked bread in pan and fry until golden brown on each side, adding oil as needed.#SpoonTip: Butter works fine, but using oil makes the toast less prone to burning.

Photo by Jaime Wilson

Repeat the soak-and-fry procedure for the rest of the slices of bread.#SpoonTip: Keep your finished slices warm on a baking sheet in an oven at 200ºF.

Photo by Jaime Wilson

Transfer French toasts to a plate, and top with powdered sugar, whipped cream, and graham cracker crumbs. And, of course, drizzle syrup on top. It’s okay to get messy.

Photo by Jaime Wilson