I’ve never made a batch of cookies without eating what feels like over half the cookie dough. This always seems fine in the moment, but when it comes time to put the cookies on the pan, I realize I have about three scoopfuls left.

Saving some cookie dough to eat with the actual cookies I baked seemed like the only solution. My taste buds and I have no regrets.

I adapted my cookie recipe from this All Recipes post, because apparently only using brown sugar instead of a combination of white and brown makes chocolate chip cookies a lot softer and chewier. Baking on a college budget also taught me that baking powder and baking soda are not playing nearly as key of a role in dessert preparation as their names might suggest.

Staying true to my college kitchen laziness, I used the same cookie recipe to make the dough in my cookie sandwiches. For those of you who are more cautious than I am when it comes to potential risks for salmonella, let me just say that I both admire and am perplexed by your resistance. For a safer center, check out this eggless cookie dough recipe or even this recipe for gluten-free raw cookie dough dip.

Cookie Dough Sandwich Cookie

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:8 minutes
  • Total Time:15 minutes

• 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 1 egg
Photo by Kevin Rodriguez

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl. Stir.

Photo by Kevin Rodriguez

Set aside 1/4 of dough.

Photo by Kevin Rodriguez

Drop rounded spoonfuls of remaining dough on cookie sheet.

Photo by Kevin Rodriguez

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool for 2 minutes.

Photo by Kevin Rodriguez

Scoop a spoonful of dough onto the bottom of one cookie. Press another cookie on top.

Photo by Kevin Rodriguez