There is no doubt that butternut squash soup falls under the “must make, must eat” category during the fall and winter months. With the holiday season fast approaching, this soup would make the perfect first course. If you’re the kind of person that likes to eat homemade butternut squash soup for every meal, here are a few tasty finishing touches to this simple and delicious recipe.

You can make your pot of butternut squash soup sweet with apple, spicy with cumin and cayenne, Indian flared with loads of curry powder, or Middle Eastern inspired with a bit spoon of Za’atar (arguably the best spice out there).

Butternut Squash Soup

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:45 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour
  • Servings:4-6

• 2 large carrots, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 small sweet onion, diced
  • 1 ripe, butternut squash, peeled and cubed (1 inch cubes)
  • 4 - 6 cup chicken stock
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon fresh black pepper - to taste
  • 2 small apples, peeled and cored (optional)
  • Olive oil

In a large stockpot, sauté onions and carrots in olive oil for 5 minutes or until onions and carrots soften a bit.

Add the cubed squash and pour in enough chicken stock so the cubes are just covered with stock. If you want a sweet soup, add the apples in now.

Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for 30 minutes or until the larger pieces of squash are fork tender.

Use a hand blender to puree the soup into a smooth consistency and serve immediately.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

#SpoonTip: For some other variations on a classic, forgo the apples and season with your preferred spices.