A frat house kitchen can be a dark and mysterious place. Most guys aren’t really willing to step foot in the kitchen, let alone try to make themselves a meal.  When the chef from my chapter has his off day, I often think to myself “what the heck am I supposed to eat around here?!?” and then proceed to eat something stale or just nasty.

Hope is not completely lost; chicken stir-fry is a great way to maximize the leftover ingredients in most frat house kitchens and make an epic meal.

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes

Servings: 1 bowl

frat

Photo by Evan Rossman

3 mushrooms, sliced
1 cup of broccoli
¼ of an onion sliced
3 tablespoons of raw spinach sliced
2 tables spoons of olive oil
1 frozen chicken breast, defrosted and chopped
¼ pound of white or brown rice
2 teaspoons sugar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 cloves garlic
2 cups of water for rice

Directions:

1.  Over high heat, bring a pot with 2 cups of water to a boil.

2. Turn down the heat and place the rice in the pot and let it simmer for 5 minutes.

frat

Photo by Evan Rossman

3. While rice is cooking, marinate chicken in a bowl with soy sauce, garlic, and sugar.

frat

Photo by Evan Rossman

4. While chicken is marinating, sauté broccoli, mushrooms and olive oil together in a pan on high heat until slightly browned.

5. Remove vegetables from the pan and place on a plate to be added in again later.

frat

Photo by Evan Rossman

6. On high heat, add marinated chicken to the pan with onions and sauté for about 15 minutes.

frat

Photo by Evan Rossman

5. Turn the heat to medium and add an additional splash of water in order to create a sauce.

frat

Photo by Evan Rossman

6.  Stir vegetables back into the pan and mix everything together for an additional 5 minutes.

frat

Photo by Evan Rossman

7.  Serve over the rice in a hearty bowl.

frat

Photo by Evan Rossman

8. Enjoy

Check out these related articles: