When I was traveling abroad in Spain this past summer (and yes I’m going to be the girl who won’t shut up about it) I had some of the best sushi I have ever eaten. Yeah, so Spain and sushi don’t exactly seem to mix but trust me the Spaniards know how to do it. Or, at least the owners of Sushi Shop in Valencia do.

The menu was extensive as f*ck but somehow I landed on a roll that was called the Chicken Caesar. IT WAS BOMB. It’s exactly what it sounds like; a mini Caesar salad wrapped up in an oh-so-delicious sushi roll. I can’t think of anything better honestly. Caesar salad is my go-to in any unfamiliar restaurant situation, besides cheese quesadillas because, duh.

I’ve adapted their recipe so that all the goodness is wrapped up in the new, hybrid innovation: the sushi burrito. Which, is compact, convenient, and perfect to take on campus for an in between class snack. So, ditch the raw fish, grab your Publix fried chicken and lego.

Chicken Caesar Sushi Burrito

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:0 minutes
  • Total Time:15 minutes
  • Servings:1 Sushi Roll

• 1 nori sheet
  • 1/4 cup cooked white or brown rice
  • 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 fried chicken tender (or grilled if you’re tryna be healthy)
  • 1/4 cup chopped, Romaine lettuce
  • 2 tablespoon Caesar salad dressing
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Courtesy of Robert Wehrli

Cook rice. Let cool until warm, then mix in the rice vinegar, sugar and salt.

Place plastic wrap over the sushi roller to make for a neater roll. Then, lay the nori sheet onto the sushi roller.

Wet your fingers with warm water and then evenly spread the sushi rice onto about ¾ of the nori sheet.

Place the chicken, lettuce, cheese and dressing about one inch away from the bottom of the nori sheet.

Roll up the nori sheet to create your sushi roll, applying pressure while doing so. The sticky rice you made will help a lot with the sushi staying together, but the added pressure while rolling will really ensure its stability.

If you’re all about visual ~aesthetics~ you can cut the ends of the roll to make it look neater.

Wrap your sushi burrito up in some parchment paper with the bottom end twisted and you’re off to class. Or, serve with wasabi (ew), soy sauce or my personal favorite: teriyaki sauce.