There’s nothing easier (or more delicious) than a boxed cake mix slathered in store-bought frosting. Okay, homemade frosting is pretty good too, but in all seriousness, I prefer the taste of boxed funfetti to even the most decadent of bakery-bought cakes. I don’t know if it’s the highly processed ingredients or just the satisfaction of knowing I made it myself, but I can’t help that my tastebuds tell me this is the best thing that has ever been invented.

While it’s easy to whip up one of these bad boys without much thought, it’s just as easy to make it a work of art with a bit more effort. By going a tad beyond the basic dump, bake and frost, you can have yourself an impressive cake that rivals the ones done by the professionals.

#SpoonTip: You’re going to be left with tons of yummy cake scraps, and I would recommend using the scraps to whip up some cakes in a jar or to assemble a batch of cake pops.

boxed cake

Photo by Jordan Gottlieb

Seriously Impressive Boxed Cake

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:24-29 minutes
  • Total Time:1.5 hours

• 1 box cake mix
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup water
  • 1-2 cans frosting
  • Rainbow Sprinkles
Photo by Jordan Gottlieb

Prepare boxed cake mix to package directions and divide between two well-greased 9-inch round pans. Add extra rainbow sprinkles, if desired.

Photo by Jordan Gottlieb

Drop the cake pans several times above the countertop to eliminate air bubbles before placing them in the oven. This step helps prevent your cakes from being too rounded at the top once baked.

Photo by Jordan Gottlieb

Bake your cakes at 325°F for 25-29 minutes.

Photo by Jordan Gottlieb

Remove your cakes from the oven, and allow them to cool completely.

#SpoonTip: If you’re in a hurry, throw them in the fridge or the freezer to speed up the process.

Photo by Jordan Gottlieb

Remove your cakes from their pans, and place them on a flat surface. Using a serrated knife, level both of your cakes until they’re completely flat on both sides.

#SpoonTip: Don’t throw out your cake scraps. There a tons of things you can make with the leftover bits of cake.

Photo by Jordan Gottlieb

Spread a thick layer of frosting on one of the sides you just cut, and add more sprinkles cuz why not?

#SpoonTip: Lay pieces of parchment paper around your cake to prevent icing from getting on your plate or on your cake stand

Photo by Jordan Gottlieb

Sandwich the two cakes together, so that the two cut sides are on the inside.

Photo by Jordan Gottlieb

Spread a very thin layer of icing on the outside of your stacked cakes, trapping any pesky crumbs.

Photo by Jordan Gottlieb

Place your cake in the fridge to chill for at least 20 minutes.

Photo by Jordan Gottlieb

Spread another layer of frosting around the outside of your cake with the flat edge of a butter knife.

Photo by Jordan Gottlieb

Add decorations to your heart’s content, but keep in mind that simple designs typically come out better- especially if you’re not a pro cake decorator.

Photo by Jordan Gottlieb

Enjoy your delicious (and beautiful) boxed cake.

Photo by Jordan Gottlieb