Let’s face it, we’ve all reached that point where we are so busy that we panic at the thought of making anything besides pasta, pasta or more pasta. No need to be ashamed – I’ve been there myself. But I’ve also created this five ingredient recipe, which is sure to free you from your pasta prison. For any chef, the best dishes manage to be extremely simple while producing maximum flavor. This lemon quinoa is does just that. Protein-packed quinoa is easy to cook in one pot and serves as a hearty substitute for meat, on Monday or any other day of the week.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
1/2 cup quinoa
1/2 cup of any stock (for a truly meatless meal, opt for vegetable stock)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup pine nuts, optional
1. Measure quinoa and pour into a small saucepan.
2. Pour stock, lemon juice and water into saucepan.
3. Turn heat on high and bring mixture to a boil with lid off.
4. When boiling, turn heat down to low and place lid on pot.
5. Let simmer for 15 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed.
6. While quinoa is cooking, toast pine nuts, if desired. Place pine nuts in a small frying pan on high heat until slightly browned.
7. Once quinoa is finished cooking, pour in frozen peas and let sit for 2-3 minutes, or until peas are defrosted.
8. Top with toasted pine nuts and serve.
Read step by step instructions on how to cook quinoa here.