Don’t leave your olive oil and lemon juice just for vinaigrette. Bring them together in a simple cake: using olive oil as the main fat over butter has loads of nutritional benefits and makes for a moist yet light cake (almost pudding-like, really) with a crispy exterior. The lemon is a perfect match, bringing out the frutiness of the olive oil. Enjoy under the sun and with friends, for a spring party or maybe just tea time.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
2 large bowls
8-inch cake pan
1 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher sal
t1/4 teaspoon baking powde
r1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup milk of your choice (I used lowfat)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup lemon juice (store bought or fresh-pressed)
Optional: 1 tablespoon of lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan with olive oil.
2. Whisk the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in a bowl.
3. Whish the olive oil, milk, eggs, lemon juice, and lemon zest in another bowl until combined.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, whisk until just combined.
5. Pour into your cake pan and bake for 45 minutes until golden brown.
Note: the lemon flavor is pretty strong, so feel free to modify the amount of lemon juice you use.