As a Wisconsin native, cheese has always been a staple of my diet and my life. However, it wasn't Wisconsin that invented this twist on a classic cheeseburger. Two cities in Minneapolis, Minnesota both claim to have invented the Jucy Lucy, a burger which has the cheese inside of the hamburger patty instead of on top. This Jucy Lucy recipe will show you just how to make this burger as it was originally made, but also offers a few ways that you can change it up. 

Jucy Lucy

• 1/2 pound ground beef
  • 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce or to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper or to taste
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder or to taste
  • 2 slices American cheese
  • Vegetable oil
  • 1 hamburger bun
sandwich
Claudia Karademas

Add ground beef to a bowl and season with your preferred seasonings. I used salt, pepper, Worcestershire Sauce, and garlic powder.

ice, ice cream, chocolate
    Claudia Karademas

Separate the meat into separate portions and roll each into a ball.

cake, chocolate, tea
    Claudia Karademas

Flatten the patties. Because you will be combining them, make sure they are both thin (about 1/4 inch thick).

Claudia Karademas

Tear each slice of American cheese into quarters and place them on top of one of the patties. Try to keep them towards the center. Then seal the two patties tightly together. Make sure you seal the sides well or else the cheese will run out.

Claudia Karademas

Using vegetable oil to grill, cook your patty for about 5 minutes on each side on medium-high heat. It's generally accepted that a Jucy Lucy has to be well-done or else the cheese might not melt or the red juices will mix with the cheese for an unappetizing look. Let the patty rest while you toast the buns.

steak, beef
    Claudia Karademas

It's best to toast the buns in a new pan or in the oven so that they don't get soggy. Butter them and then toast them until lightly browned.

cake, english muffin, sweet, jam, butter, bread, toast
    Claudia Karademas

Put your burger on your bun and voila! Your burger is ready.

bread
    Claudia Karademas

If you desire, cut it in half for a view of the cheesy goodness unique to a Jucy Lucy recipe.

sandwich
    Claudia Karademas

While this Jucy Lucy recipe may seem daunting at first, as long as you seal the patty properly it isn't too difficult. If you're worried you might struggle, The Burger Lab offers some great tips.  Even if it takes a little more effort than a regular burger, the cheesy inside is definitely worth the effort.