Sweets are our weakness. Even though we know sugar doesn’t mesh well with our bodies, we still can’t resist a few cookies or a slice of chocolate cake. That’s why it’s popular to give this stuff up when Lent comes around – it takes a lot of strength to forgo any type of dessert. But all treats don’t have to be sweet! Try out this savory muffin to give your sweet tooth a break.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Servings: 12 muffins
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
1/2 cup milk or milk substitute (I used almond milk)
1 cup flour (I used white-whole wheat flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 jalepeño, thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, milk and Greek yogurt.
3. In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
4. Combine wet and dry ingredients.
5. Add in cheese and stir until it is incorporated well.
6. Grease muffin tin and then evenly pour batter, filling each muffin tin about 1/2 full with batter.
7. Slice a thin jalepeño slice per muffin tin.
8. Top each muffin with a thin jalepeño round.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes. They taste best when served warm.