I love frosting as much as Paula Deen loves butter. While others are wiping off the tops of cupcakes or the sides of a sheet cake, I’m secretly stealing spoonfuls of the stuff.
Store-bought frosting is overly sugary and hardens like plaster after an hour of sitting out, so I went in search of an easy homemade recipe with just the right amount of sweetness and texture.
I found this brilliant and oh-so-addicting idea of transforming instant pudding mix into frosting. This cake topper is light, fluffy and delicious, and the most amazing part is that any flavor of pudding can be used. Some ideas:
- Chocolate fudge always gets the party started
- Pumpkin is great idea for seasonal cakes (#basic)
- Pistachio is the frosting to create when you’re feeling adventurous
- Lemon pairs perfectly with white or yellow cake
- Oreo pudding makes a bomb cookies and cream topping (dirt cupcakes, anyone?)
The endless flavor possibilities will have you feeling like Lindsey Lohan in Mean Girls.
Keep in mind that one 3.4-ounce box of Jello-O instant pudding mix should be enough to cover about 24 cupcakes, if you can put the spoon down.
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Mix Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 7 minutes
Servings: 24 cupcakes or 1 two-layer, 9-inch round cake
1. In a bowl, combine the pudding mix and powdered sugar with a fork or whisk until there are no lumps.
2. Pour in the cold milk and whisk for two minutes.
3. Add spoonfuls of Cool Whip, folding with each addition until the whole tub is used and there are no lumps.
4. Spread on the cupcakes, sit back and savor each and every bite.
Note: After mixing all the ingredients together, the frosting may end up a little loose at first (especially if you mixed it in a warm room). Just pop it in the fridge until it reaches your desired consistency.
Like this? We figured. Why don’t you pin it?
For you cupcake enthusiasts out there: