All over the internet, I've been seeing Cheetos EVERYTHING. From bagels to sushi, you name it, it's there. But of all the new Cheetos infused dishes that I've seen roaming the net, I was most interested in the Cheetos cookie. Don't get me wrong, I love Cheetos. But as a cookie? It didn't seem like it would be good at all.

After seeing this weird cookie combo online, I knew that I needed to try it to see what all the hype was about. So, I decided to take matters into my own hands and after some research, I found a recipe and decided to make them myself. 

Cheetos Cookies

• 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 4 cups Cheetos Puffs crumbled
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tbsp cream tartar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup butter at room temperature
  • 1/4 cup shortening at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
beer
Eliza Budd

Crumble Cheetos Puffs in a food processor to create fine crumbs.

sweet, chicken
    Eliza Budd

In a bowl, combine flour, about 1/2 of Cheetos dust (crumbs from food processor), baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.

sweet, cream
    Eliza Budd

In another bowl, cream together the sugar, butter, and shortening.

lard, curd, sweet, dairy, cream, dairy product, milk
    Eliza Budd

Add the egg to the cream mixture and mix until combined.

flour, yolk, dairy product, cream, milk, butter, egg yolk, egg
    Eliza Budd

Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet until combined.

egg, sweet, cream, dairy product, flour, milk
    Eliza Budd

Once the dough is formed, put the mixture into the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.

rice
    Eliza Budd

Once the dough is set, take it out of the fridge and roll into balls. Coat the dough in the remaining Cheetos dust.

sweet, chicken
    Eliza Budd

Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350°F oven for 10-12 minutes or until they begin cracking.

chicken, cookie, cake, sweet
    Eliza Budd

So, I get it. You're still probably not convinced. You're left with a fluorescent orange, Cheeto dusted cookie, which probably is not the most appetizing dessert. And believe me, taking these out of the oven I thought the exact same thing. But man, I could not have been more wrong. Whoever invented this treat, I can honestly say is a true genius. 

When I took my first bite into these cookies I was so impressed by how soft, buttery and chewy they were. Not only this, but they strike the perfect balance between what it means to be salty and sweet. There is a slight Cheeto flavor, but it is not overwhelming. There is also the perfect touch of sweetness that is what you want from your dessert. This is something I would definitely make again, and something you should try the next time you want to impress your friends. Remember, don't knock it till ya try it.