Boozy brunch is the best. That’s why I’m always looking for a delicious new restaurant to check out, and a few weekends ago, my friend had a birthday drunch at Calle Ocho. Considered one of the best drunches in NYC, the menu boasts 8 types of sangria in addition to Latin-inspired food. I ordered Pollo Ranchero, which is a delicious ranch-inspired breakfast dish in Mexico. The dish got me thinking about huevos rancheros, a similar but vegetarian version, so I decided to mess around in my kitchen and try it out.
This recipe is perfect for your apartment’s next drunk brunch party because:
1) It’s completely customizable, so everyone’s happy.
2) It’s really easy, so you’re happy.
3) But it doesn’t *look* easy.
4) All the ingredients can be found at Trader Joe’s.
5) It goes perfectly with sangria (and that’s what drunch is all about).
6) The ingredients are easy to scale up or down to accommodate your group size.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
½ cup organic super sweet cut corn
½ cup canned black beans
4 eggs (or 3/4 cup egg whites)
4 flour tortillas (6” diameter)
½ cup shredded three cheese blend
Salt to taste
1. Heat the tortillas on a skillet and move to a plate.
2. Lightly roast corn in a skillet.
3. Cook black beans in a skillet until slightly charred.
4. Crack eggs and scramble. This is the time to add a dash of hot sauce or paprika.
5. Grab those tortillas and portion the three cooked ingredients into them. Top with avocado, fresh lime juice, cheese and enjoy! Alternatively, put all the ingredients out and let your guests make their own.