The thought of canned tuna brings forth a flood of elementary school memories of tuna sandwich lunches stuffed in brown paper bags. I can remember the glorious taste of slightly soggy white bread encasing the tuna and mayonnaise mixture, and while I love a good tuna sandwich as much as the next person, it doesn’t quite make for a proper dinner entrée.

The idea of this recipe for teriyaki tuna cakes came to me a few weeks ago as I was perusing my pantry for a dinner inspiration. I saw a can of tuna and decided to take this lunchbox essential to the dinner table level.

Teriyaki Glazed Tuna Cakes

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:20 minutes
  • Total Time:35 minutes

• 12 oz canned tuna, drained
  • 2 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 large onion
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoon white vinegar
  • 3 tablespoon honey
  • 3 teaspoon rice vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 2 teaspoon rice wine

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Add the soy sauce, sesame oil, white vinegar, rice vinegar, honey, red pepper lakes, and rice wine into a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat for fifteen minutes.

Finely chop the onions and add to a large mixing bowl along with the drained tuna, half of the bread crumbs, eggs, salt, and pepper. Combine thoroughly.

Photo Lily Tang

Shape the mixture in about ¼ cup portions into balls and coat in the remaining bread crumbs.

Heat the vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot carefully place the tuna cakes in the pan and cook each side for two minutes. While the tuna is cooking pour the sauce into a small bowl and place it in the fridge to cool.

Place the pan in the oven for fifteen minutes. Serve the tuna cakes with the cooled teriyaki glaze on top.