I am not a vegan. But I have been loosely experimenting with the concept for the past couple of weeks. It’s been fun. Interesting. Aside from the need to eat more to fill myself up and the inevitable effect that an overconsumption of beans has on your body, I’ve found the process simple.

However, I think that many people think that ingredients such as quinoa and seitan are necessary in order to cook vegan. This is not true. I shop at Lidl and I’ve been able to cook a variety of different dishes with simple, pronounceable foods.

This fast recipe is one of the best ones that I’ve come across so far. With only beans, vegetables, hummus and tortilla wraps, you’ll have up to four quesadillas in under 30 minutes.

Vegan Quesadillas

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:20 minutes
  • Total Time:30 minutes

• 2 avocados
  • 1 bell pepper
  • 10 spring onions
  • 1 red onion
  • 1 tomato
  • 1 can of red kidney beans
  • 1 can of chickpeas
  • 1 pot of hummus
  • 8 tortilla wraps
  • 1 packet of taco spice
Photo by Olivia Wassén

Chop all the vegetables (just as chunky or finely as you prefer).

Photo by Olivia Wassén

Spread a generous amount of hummus on two tortilla wraps.

Heat olive oil in a pan and toss a tortilla wrap in (hummus side up). Add vegetables, beans and taco spice.

Photo by Olivia Wassén

Once the first wrap is golden, add the second tortilla wrap (hummus side down) and flip the quesadilla. Leave until all ingredients are hot and both sides of your quesadilla are done.

#SpoonTip: Use a plate to help you flip the quesadilla. Place it over the pan, flip onto the plate and then slide the quesadilla back into the pan.

Photo by Olivia Wassén

Slice and enjoy.

Photo by Olivia Wassén