Fall is here and that doesn't just mean pumpkin spice season. Apples are in season too and if you're in Champaign, chances are you've probably been to Curtis Apple Orchard—the place to go if you're craving anything from apple donuts to just plain apples.  

If you're wondering how you can use the apples you just picked (or bought) aside from just eating them, look no further. This simple recipe is the best apple cinnamon treat. Despite how long the total time is, it really is an easy recipe. 

• 2 cups flour
  • 1/8 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 packet active dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 2 apples peeled and chopped
meat, vegetable, bread, sauce, pastry, sweet
Angela Kerndl

In a large bowl, mix together the white sugar, yeast and one cup of flour. In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, water and butter. Place the wet mixture in the microwave until the butter is melted. Then add the wet mixture to the flour mixture.

flour, cereal, dough, sweet, bread, wheat, milk, cake, cream, pastry
    Angela Kerndl

Add another cup of flour to the mix. Knead the dough for five minutes. Then cover the bowl with a towel and let the dough rise for 10 minutes.

dough, flour, pastry, dairy product, bread, cream, sweet, cake
    Angela Kerndl

While the dough is rising, peel and chop two apples into small chunks.

apple, sweet, vegetable, peach, juice
    Angela Kerndl

Mix together the cinnamon, brown sugar and apple chunks in a separate bowl.

meat, vegetable, sweet
    Angela Kerndl

Use butter to line the baking sheet so the dough doesn't stick. After the dough has been sitting for the 10 minutes, roll it onto a cookie sheet/pan. Make sure the dough is rolled out pretty thin. Then spoon the apple cinnamon mix over the dough, covering it almost completely.

meat, chicken, potato, pork
    Angela Kerndl

You will need to cut the dough into approximately 10 slices. Then slice those in half. Roll each strip and make sure there are plenty of apples in each. You should have approximately 20 mini rolls.

chicken, cheese, bacon
    Angela Kerndl

Place a towel over the pan and let the rolls sit for 45 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375°F.

meat
    Angela Kerndl

Once the rolls have finished rising for 45 minutes, place them in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

dough, pastry, sweet, cinnamon
    Angela Kerndl

Enjoy!

meat, vegetable, sauce, bread, pastry, sweet
    Angela Kerndl

This will definitely be my go-to recipe all season long whenever I'm craving something sweet. And if you want to make them for breakfast, you could even say they're somewhat healthy, with the apples and all.