Banana bread has made its way to be an American classic, and for good reason. It's sweet, moist, delicious and it's certainly a favorite in my home.

But as great as banana bread is, I find it can get to be a bit boring without any new fun additions every once and a while. That's where the peanut butter and chocolate chips come in. This banana bread is made with peanut butter and chocolate chips in the batter, then drizzled with peanut butter and chocolate chips on top. Yummy.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 20 mins

• 2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 4 medium ripe bananas mashed
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter plus extra for top
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
milk
Katherine O'Malley

Preheat the oven to 350˚F and grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large bowl, bring together the mashed bananas, eggs, peanut butter, applesauce, oil, and vanilla extract. Mix well.

egg, vegetable, dairy product, soup
    Katherine O'Malley

Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice and mix well.

cream
    Katherine O'Malley

Add in most of the chocolate chips—saving some for the top—and mix well.

chocolate, sweet, milk, cream
    Katherine O'Malley

Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Drizzle about 3 tablespoons of peanut butter in a line on top of the batter, then drag it out using a knife to make swirls. Sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips on top.

chocolate
    Katherine O'Malley

Bake in the preheated oven for about 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool before slicing, then serve.

cake, sweet, bread, pastry, toast, chocolate
    Katherine O'Malley